Where work asks you to DO more, Spirituality says, BE more. Is it even possible to do both? To have work-life balance? Yes.
So, my attempt today is to show you through some practical examples, that it very much IS. Because life should not be about choosing between your roles, spirituality can and should be an inherent part of every role you play.
TIP #1 – Reuse the intermittent spaces between and after work.
- Don’t pull out your phone when you are waiting for the elevator to come, or while taking the ride. And there are many other moments like this, where you have ‘a few seconds’. So, identify them and use them to tap back into the moment, by being mindful of your surroundings or your breathe.
- If you don’t have the time to be in nature (guilty!), instead of sitting and talking during lunch, walk and talk outdoors. Some offices have a great policy, of having walking meetings as well. A perfect way to regain energy naturally, is by removing yourself from the concrete jungle.
- Eat mindfully, atleast once a day. Even if it means a 10 minute coffee break, give yourself that space and time to just let your mind off of ‘work-mode’ and into present moment awareness. That’s the easiest way to gain benefits as huge as your close-eyed Meditation.
- Instead of listening to mindless ads on the radio on the drive home, listen to something relaxing that can help you start unplugging and start tuning into yourself. Some gentle music, or chants – have a playlist.
NOTE : I would NOT recommend podcasts, or anything mentally stimulating. Drive time is known to facilitate a connection with our Higher Self, which is only possible when our mind isn’t constantly consuming new information.
TIP #2 – Do smaller doses of ‘subconscious’ work.
- SAVE the quotes and affirmations you scroll throughout the day, and read them every morning as a self-care practice (without using your internet).
- While at your seat, reboot yourself. A great example, is by closing your eyes for a 30-second visualisation where your stress dissipates, and bright white Light recharges your body.
- If you’re too ashamed to reboot with your eyes-closed, try the 5-4-3-2-1 grounding rule (also great for anxiety and stress). This article describes the rule beautifully.
- Say a few quick morning affirmations in the mirror if you don’t have time to write them.
TIP #3 – Work-life balance means no more concoctions!
- Whether 10 minutes or 1 hour, have a me-time habit. Start the day on your terms. You will feel more nurtured. If you’re looking for some inspiration, I talk in a lot more detail about some of my daily self-love and self-care practices in this post.
- Delay the work mode, until you’re actually there. Do not jumble up me-time with work-time. This also means, do NOT check or respond to your emails the moment you open your eyes.
- How much time are you spending with yourself, honestly and authentically? Are you cheating on yourself with your work commitments? Ensure your work day doesn’t end at the same time as you sleep. Signing out of devices, disconnecting from the internet are essential.
TIP #4 – Achieve work-life balance by practicing the spiritual philosophies at work.
- When you are unable to figure a solution for your problem, SURRENDER. Walk away from your desk, take that 10-minute coffee break we discussed before, and rest be assured, you will come with more inspirations that lead you to the solution. Don’t trust me? Try it for yourself.
- I always find difficult relationships to be our best teachers. Exhibit the practice of healthy boundaries and self-love, by being more mindful of the dynamic between your peers and your employers. Identify the nature of your Spiritual Contract. It may mean learning to be less of a ‘yes-man’, for example.
- Do your karma, don’t try to manipulate the outcome. In other words, stop feeding the drama of your ego when things don’t go your way at work. Time to transcend the temptation to ass-kiss and indulge in project politics.
NOTE : At the same time, your employer not being able to fulfil your expectations, is a bounce-back at the previous point about practising self-love and voicing your concerns in a gentle and firm way.
Tip #5 – Work consciously, whatever you do.
- Be mindful and less on ‘autopilot’ – you will make less mistakes that way.
- Stop reacting, start responding. You will spend less energy being flustered.
- Allow yourself to conform less and think more ‘outside of the box’.
- Work beyond your fears. Sometimes, it means expressing unpopular opinion.
These are just some of the many ways in which spirituality can crossover with work and give you the work-life balance you deserve. If these tips helped you, don’t forget to share this with other people! 🙂
Add some Love & Light to your inbox. Come join the monthly newsletter to get self-healing tools, insights and exclusive spiritual highlights. 🙂
Pin for Pinterest :